I. Library and Information Science (General)
- What They Don’t Teach You in Library School–print/e-book Bundle Elisabeth Doucett. ALA Editions.
- How to Stay Afloat in the Academic Library Job Pool–print/e-book Bundle Edited by Teresa Y. Neely; Foreword by Camila A. Alire. ALA Editions .
- The New Information Professional: Your Guide to Careers in the Digital Age. By Judy Lawson, Joanna Kroll and Kelly Kowatch. Neal-Schuman, 2010.
Mid-Career Library and Information Professionals
- A Leadership Primer: Tools for helping today’s early-career librarians become tomorrow’s library leaders. By Suzanne Byke Dawn Lowe-Wincentsen. Chandos, 2008.
- Ways to Sharpen Your Leadership Skills. By Ritika Trikha US News Money/On Careers April 17, 2012.
- Recovery, reframing and renewal: Surviving an information science career crisis in a time of change. By Oliver Cutshaw. Chandos, 2011.
- The New Professional’s Toolkit. By Bethan Ruddock. Facet, 2012.
2. Mentoring and Advisement
Developing Library Leaders
- A How-To-Do-It Manual for Coaching, Team Building, and Mentoring Library Staff. By Robert D. Stuart and Maureen Sullivan. Neal-Schuman, 2010.
- Taking Charge of Your Career: A Guide for the Library and Information Professional. By Joanna Ptolomey. Neal-Schuman, 2009.
- Library 2.0 Groups
- ACRL New librarians’ roundtable
- NYLA NMRT (New Members roundtable)
3. Resume Writing, Cover Letters, and Interviewing
- Resume Writing and Interviewing Techniques that Work: A How-To-Do-It Manual for Librarians. By Robert R. Newlen. Neal-Schuman, 2006.
- “Librarian Cover Letter and Resume Examples.” . April 5, 2016.
- “How to market yourself with a winning résumé.
Non-traditional resumes and CVs:
- Your resume, v. oblivion. Lauren Weber, Wall Street Journal, Careers, January 24, 2012.
- No more resumes, say some firms. Rachel Emma Silverman. Wall Street Journal, Careers, January 24,2012.
- 7 Examples of Fresh New Ways to Start Your Cover Letter. Hernandez, Jessica Holbrook. WorkItDaily.com. February 1, 2012.
- The Ultimate Guide to Job Interview Preparation (Quintessential Careers.com) by Louise Giordano.
Job Tips for 50+ Workers
- Need help updating your resume or preparing for an interview? These resources can help AARP | Updated August 2015.
- Renew yourself: A six-step plan for more meaningful work.. Hakala-Ausperk, Catherine. ALA, 2017.
4. Webinars- [to be updated]
- Handling Those Job Search Blues by Susan. Work Coach café.com. February 1, 2012.
- Five O’Clock Club. Premier outplacement and Executive Coaching organization. Provides job search articles, books and private and small group career Coaching.
Transitioning to Librarianship
- 15 Tips for a Successful Career Transition to Librarianship. Mehling, Ellen. Metro.org. 11-Jan-12 10:00 AM EST [contacted her May 9, 2017 for updated links]
5. Social media
- Everything You Need To KnowAbout LinkedIn Recommendations. by Susan Adams, Forbes staff
- HOW TO: Build Your Personal Brand on LinkedIn. By Dan Schawbel. Originally posted July 27, 2009.
- 7 Ways to Get More Out of LinkedIn. By Sharlyn Lauby. November 9, 2009
- The Beginner’s Guide to Facebook. Mashable. May 2012.
- INALJ (I Need a Library Job)
General social media [to be updated]
- Yoohoo. Do you Yahoo? Stephanie/Sara Leah Gross. Originally written for Association of Jewish Libraries (AJL), May 4, 2011.
- MediaBistro.com : Courses in social media, journalism, analytics, marketing, etc.
6. Employment resources
- ALA Joblist
- JINFO: Jobs in Information
- Jobs in Library and Information Technology
- LIBJOBS: Employment Mailing List for LIS Professionals
7. Tech Skills