by Ginni Chin
If you’re a book nerd, you know the usual boring New Year’s resolutions just don’t work for you. The most popular resolutions every year are to lose weight, eat better, sleep better, meditate, drink less, exercise more, and save money. Sure, these resolutions are all generically “good” for you, but they’re also uninspired and uninspiring after a few months. Worst of all, they don’t involve any books!
We book nerds need goals that appeal to our literary sensibilities, and we need resolutions that address our idiosyncratic readerly ways. That’s why we’ve come up with a list of New Year’s resolutions just for book nerds. If you recognize yourself in any of these, maybe it’s time to become a new and improved book nerd in 2016!
- I will stop losing bookmarks.
- I will keep my “all-nighters to read a book from cover to cover” down to once a week.
- I will do things other than read on weekends. Things like interact with other humans, eat things other than cereal, absorb sunlight, and appreciate trees.
- I will give people who don’t read a chance. Maybe.
- I will conquer the 100 greatest novels of all time.
- I will choose a literary prize and read every book that has ever won that prize.
- I will be faithful to one book club, instead of joining five different ones and just reading whatever I want. Read more…