By Ellyssa Kroski
Want to incorporate new ideas into your library’s digital strategy? Here are some tips
Posted Tue, 02/19/2013 – 18:57
Today’s hottest web and mobile technologies are offering libraries a new world of opportunities to engage patrons. Ultra-popular social media websites and apps combined with the availability of affordable cloud-based services and the evolution and adoption of mobile devices are enabling librarians to share and build communities, store and analyze large collections of data, create digital collections, and access information and services in ways never thought about before.
Libraries have become technology leaders by integrating cutting-edge tools to enhance users’ experience. It’s not enough to redesign the library website. Best practices mean developing user personas and following usability strategies to produce user-informed designs. New digital collections are stored in the cloud and mobile applications are developed around them. Libraries are claiming their venues on location-based mobile social networks, developing bleeding-edge augmented reality applications, and participating in semantic web efforts.
Forward-thinking librarians are actively experimenting with and incorporating these new technologies into their digital strategies. Here are 10 ideas for you to leverage today’s most innovative tools and techniques. All of these come straight from The Tech Set #11–20 series (ALA TechSource, June 2012).
- 10 Great Technology Initiatives for Your Library by Ellyssa Kroski (bluesyemre.com)
- Semantic Tech & Other Advances Moving Libraries Forward (semanticweb.com)
- Caroline Kennedy on Libraries and Family | American Libraries Magazine (nylibrariansmeetup.blogspot.com)
- A Little Enthusiasm Goes a Long Way | American Library Association (stephanielgrossmslis.me)
- How Libraries are Reinventing Themselves for the Future | How Libraries are Reinventing Themselves for the Future | TIME.com (nylibrariansmeetup.blogspot.com)
- New scorecard lets libraries give feedback on e-book offerings from publishers (bluesyemre.com)
- The Future Of Libraries : How Technology Helps Them Grow [Infographic] (thetechnologycafe.com)
- American Library Association Names Return On Influence “Essential”… (prweb.com)
- 10 Great Technology Initiatives for Your Library | American Libraries Magazine (drweb.typepad.com)
- Library rents books and plant seeds (springwise.com)